Sunday, March 8

Worst Political Quotes of All Time

TO celebrate idiocy in British politics, let's celebrate some of the worst quotes, or misquotes, of our time.
Feel free to add your own by tweeting @betterpolitics

1. "Now is not the time for sound bites. I can feel the hand of history on my shoulder." - Tony Blair

2. "I did maths for a year at university. I don't think I was very good at it. And some people would say it shows." - Gordon Brown, who recently told the House of Commons he had "saved the world".

3. "Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3." - Boris Johnson

4. "I don't make predictions. I never have and I never will." - Tony Blair.

5. "Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be too clever by half. The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters." - John Major.

6. Lady Astor to Churchill: "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

7. "Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man." - Iain Duncan Smith, shortly before resigning Conservative Party leadership.

8. "We're not saying, 'We're politicians, trust us.' We know you don't trust us." - Michael Howard.

9. "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for Government." - Former SDP leader David Steel before his party came third in the 1983 election.